Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Why Google isn't worried about Microsoft

I was look for information about the Blaster worm and I found a link labeled: What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants. Google says that there are 248 links to that page. But if you follow it, you read, "We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist."

I found that the correct link is http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx, which is only different in the extension. When you search Google for "What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants", the third entry is a Microsoft page that has the correct link. On MSN, the bad link is listed first.

Why did Microsoft decide to move things around like that? If this were the only example, I'd assume it was an oversight or something. But as long as I can remember, the Microsoft website has been "a maze of twisty little passages, all alike." Ultimately it says to me that Microsoft still doesn't understand the Internet and probably never will.

No comments: